John Campbell

Male 1808 - 1891


Personal Information    |    Media    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name  John Campbell 
    Born  14 Jan 1808  Georgetown, Adams Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Male 
    Died  30 Aug 1891  Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried  Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH, Woodland Cem. Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • Researched by Sharon Milich Kouns
      (c)1999
      email:Skouns7@aol.com


      History of Adams County - JOHN CAMPBELL - The earliest ancestor of which we have any account was Duncan Campbell, of Argyleshire, Scotland. He married Mary McCoy in 1612, and removed to Londonerry in Ireland the same year. He had a son, John Campbell, who married in 1655, Grace Hay, daughter of Patrick Hay, Esq. of Londonderry. They had three sons, one of whom was Robert, born 1665, and who, with his sons, John, Hugh and Charles Campbell, emigrated to Virginia in 1696 and settled in that part of Orange County, afterward incorporated in Augusta. The son, Charles Campbell, was born in 1704, and died in 1778. In 1739, he was married to Mary Trotter. He had seven sons and three daughters. He was the historian of Virginia. His son, William, born in 1754, and died in 1822, was a soldier of the Revolution, and as such had a distinguished record as a General at King's Mountain and elsewhere. He married Elizabeth Willson, of Rockbridge County, Virginia, a member of the distinguished Willson family. They had eleven children. Their son, Charles, was born December 28, 1779, and died September 26, 1871. He was married September 30, 1803, to Elizabeth Tweed, in Adams County. He had five sons. The third was John Campbell, of Ironton, born January 14, 1808, in Adams County, Ohio.

      The Willson family intermarried with the Campbell family, who also have a distinguished record. Colonel John Willson, born in 1702, and died in 1773, settled near Fairfield, then Augusta County, Virginia, and was a Burgess of that county for twenty-seven years. He once held his court where Pittsburgh now stands. His wife, Martha, died in 1755, and both are buried in the Glebe burying ground in Augusta County, Virginia. His brother, Thomas, had a daughter, Rebekah, born in 1728, and died in 1820, who married James Willson, born in 1715 and died in 1809. This James Willson, with his brother, Moses, was found when a very young boy in an open boat in the Atlantic Ocean. They were accompanied by their mother and a maid. The mother died at the moment of rescue and the maid a few moments after. The captain of the rescuing ship brought the boys to this country where they grew up, married and spent their lives.

      (see Mrs. John Campbell's notes for next paragraph of this sketch)

      On March 16, 1837, he was married at Pine Grove Furnace to Miss Elizabeth Caldwell Clarke, already mentioned, and they began housekeeping at Mt. Vernon Furnace.

      . . . From his majority he had been opposed to the institution of slavery, and was an Abolitionist. His opinions on the subject of slavery were no doubt largely formed by his associations with Rev. John Rankins and men of his views, but as he grew older, his views against the institution intensified. His home was one of the stations on the Underground Railroad, and there the poor, black fugitive was sure of a friendly meeting and all needed assistance.

      Mr. Campbell acted with the Whig party, and after its death, with the Republican party. He was a delegate to the State Repulican Convention in 1855.
      He never sought or held any public office until 1862, when, in recognition of his great and valuable services to the Republican party and to his country, President Lincoln appointed him the first Internal Revenue Collector for the Eleventh Collection District of Ohio, and he served in the office with great fidelity and honor until October 1, 1866, when he was succeeded by Gen. B. F. Coates.

      In 1872, Mr. Campbell reached the height of his fortune. He was then worth over a million of dollars. Up to that time he had invested in and promoted almost every enterprise projected inside the circle of his acquaintance. He had not done this recklessly or extravagantly, but from natural disposition to promote prosperity.

      In 1873, the Cooke panic overtook the country and from that time until 1883, there was a steady contraction in every enterprise with which Mr. Campbell was connected.

      BIOGRAPHICAL CYCLOPEDIA AND PORTRAIT GALLERY - CAMPBELL, JOHN, iron master and capitalist, of Ironton, Ohio, was born near what is now called Ripley, in Brown county, Ohio, January 14th, 1808. His parentage is Scotch Irish, his ancestors having removed from Inveray, Argyleshire, Scotland, into the province of Ulster, Ireland, near Londonderry. Their descendants of a hundred years afterward emigrated to America, and settled in Augusta county, Virginia, and gave to the State of Virginia, and subsequently to the State of Tennessee, men who attained to civil and military distinction. The grandparents of our subject removed from Virginia to Bourbon county, Kentucky, in 1790, and from thence in 1798, to that part of Ohio first called Adams county, subsequently divided into Brown and other counties, and settled at a place then called Stauton, but which is now Ripley, Ohio, where he was born, and where, in his early manhood, he engaged in business with an uncle, and from thence went to Hanging Rock. Here, in 1833, he was employed in building the old Hanging Rock Iron Forge, long since demolished, and the same year, he, with Andrew Ellison, built Lawrence Furnace for J. Riggs & Co., and took stock in it. These were the first iron works in which he engaged, but it was a beginning that gave him experience so needful in the many similar enterprises he afterward originated and controlled. In 1834, with Robert Hamilton, he built Mt. Vernon Furnace, and removed from Hanging Rock to manage it. From this furnace grew up those large iron interests which for a period of thirty years afterward were known under the firm name of Campbell, Ellison and Co., of Cincinnati. It was here he made the change of placing the boilers and hot blast over the tunnel head, thus utilizing the waste gases - a proceeding now generally adopted by the charcoal furnaces of that locality and others elsewhere in the United States.

      In 1837, through the guarantee against any loss by Mr. Campbell and three other iron masters, Vesuvius Furnace was induced to test the hot blast principle. This, the first hot blast ever erected in America, was put up by William Firmstone, and though, by those opposed to the principle, it was contended that by it the iron would be weakened and rendered unfit for casting purposes, the result proved satisfactory to all concerned in producing an increased quantity of iron of the desired quality for foundry use. The active interest taken by Mr. Campbell in the first geological survey of the State led him to an appreciation of the fact that this iron region was destined to become one of the most important in the country. By personal inspection he selected and secured by patent from the general government, or purchased at low figures, the vast tracts of mineral land in the several counties where his furnaces are now located. In 1844, with Mr. John Peters, he built Greenup Furnace, Kentucky, and in 1846, Olive Furnace, Ohio, to which has since been added the Buckhorn Furnace. In 1847, he built the Gallia Furnace. In 1849, he became prime mover and principal stockholder in the organization of the Ohio Iron and Coal Company (composed of twenty-four members, twenty of whom were iron masters), and was made its president. This company purchased four hundred acres of land three miles above Hanging Rock, and laid out the town of Ironton. Mr. Campbell gave the new town its name, the first of some five towns afterward so called in the United States. The propriety of the name becomes more and more apparent as time passes. At the same time the stockholders in the town site obtained a charter and projected a railroad from the town back into the country some sixteen miles, which has since been known as the Iron Railroad, and connects Ironton with a number of furnaces and with a number of other iron and coal interests. This was the beginning of the present flourishing city, and inasmuch as Mr. Campbell was the principal in projecting these interests, he is justly entitled to the honor of being called the father of these enterprises and founder of Ironton. In 1849, he built Keystone Furnace. In 1850, he removed from Hanging Rock to Ironton, and with the Ohio Iron and Coal Company, purchased Lagrange Furnace. The same year he built the stove foundry of Campbell, Ellison & Co., and, in 1851, was one of the founders of the Iron Bank of Ironton, now known as First National Bank. In 1852, besides taking large stock in the Ironton Rolling Mill, now known as the New York and Ohio Iron and Steel Works he subscribed for one-half the stock for building the Olive Foundry and Machine Shop. He also purchased the celebrated Hecla cold-blast furnace. In 1853, he became one of the largest stockholders in the Kentucky Iron, Coal and Manufacturing Company, which founded the town of Ashland, Kentucky. With Mr. D. T.
      Woodrow, he built Howard Furnace. In 1854, with S. S. Stone, of Troy, New York, and others of Ironton, he built a large establishment for the manufacture of the iron beam plow. The same year he built the Madison Furnace, and also became one of the heaviest stockholders in the erection of the Star Nail Mill, one of the largest in the country, and now known as the Bellefont Iron Works. In 1855, with Hon. V. B. Horton, at Pomeroy, he influenced the establishment of the first telegraphic communication between these cities and Cincinnati. In 1856, with Colonel William M. Bolles and others, he built Monroe Furnace, the largest charcoal furnace in the region. This and the Washington Furnace are now under the firm name of Union Iron Company, of which Mr. Campbell is president. In 1857, his rolling mill interests extended to Zanesville, Ohio, where he was one of the incorporators of the Ohio Iron Company. The Oak Ridge Furnace was operated by him at this date, but for a short time only. The stress at this time upon the iron market was relieved by the high prices obtained during the war. His loyalty to the government, although constantly devoted to business, has distinguished him as a very public-spirited citizen. Of the fourteen furnaces in which he has been engaged, he retains a controlling interest in eight, and has lately been interested in the erection of the Ironton Furnace. This makes the eleventh furnace that he has assisted to build. Of large frame and strong constitution, he now possesses and enjoys a healthy and active old age.

      During his long industrial career, he has experienced the common successes and reverses attendant upon all business life, but, in the latter, his indomitable energy and unyielding pluck have been most remarkably displayed . He possesses, in a very high degree, the happy faculty of taking all things in a pacific manner, and regarding everything from a philosophical standpoint, he is seldom materially disturbed by an approaching business crash, as he realizes the fact that the highest wave must ultimately fall to the level. Although his parents were wealthy at their decease, yet they were of but little assistance to him, and his life exhibits what can be accomplished by industry and integrity, combined with good judgment. He has done more toward developing the resources of the Hanging Rock iron region, and at present controls more real estate and iron interests in it, than any other of its present iron masters.

      EARLY IRONMASTERS WERE FOUR CORNERSTONES ON WHICH CITY OF IRONTON WAS CONSTRUCTED - I.R. Oct. 9, 1949
      John Campbell, founder of Ironton, owned and operated 14 furnaces during his lifetime and is the best known of the four "ironmasters" of this area.

      Mr. Campbell was born January 14, 1808 and in 1832 moved to Pine Grove where he became employed with the Pine Grove furnace works.

      The first tract of land in the city was purchased by Mr. Campbell from Robert Hamilton in 1846 and Ironton was first laid out in 1849.

      He was among the great planners for the development of the iron region of the county and area. . . (see Hiram Campbell, Col. J. H. Moulton and William Naylor McGugin for rest of article involving the four cornerstones - smk)

      Ironton Register - September 12, 1878 - Hecla Park - Mr. John Campbell has been improving the hill to the left of the road just beyond the iron spring, on Storms Creek. At present, he is merely cutting a road by which to get to the summit, and after while, the bench below will be turned into a drive that will be pleasant for buggy riders. The Hecla Park is a romantic hill of about 80 acres. It is thick with the original forest trees. On one side, next the creek, are the most delightful picnic grounds in all this region. Just at the foot of the hill, this side, is the famous iron spring, which Mr. Foster, of Hecla, has been digging deeper and providing a stone basin that will furnish a plentiful supply of the healthful water. He has also constructed substantial troughs, where horses may water.

      I.R. May 17, 1883 - COUNTERFEIT SILVER FOUND - Last Thursday, while John A. Dalton was plowing a field on the hillside below Burgess' store, near Pinegrove station, he exhumed a quantity of counterfeit Mexican dollars and half dollars, about $278 in quantity. The coins bear the marks of age, and are rather poorly executed. Some time ago in the same field, some dies and parts of a press were found. The field, we understand, is a part of the Etna property.

      How came the coin there? About 1836 or '37 that region was suspected as being the headquarters for counterfeiting. In fact some arrests were made and the counterfeiting tools were discovered, but no conviction was ever secured. At that time, Mr. John Campbell was clerk at Lawrence furnace, and he says that there was a general belief that the work was going on but not much of the money was scattered in this region. There was quite a demand for the genuine coin - in fact that commanded a premium, for it was understood that the counterfeiters had plenty that as well as the bogus.

      Strange that nearly 50 years should elapse, when all that region was turned up side down for ore and coal, and the coin remain hid until last week. But the purpose of the original proprietors was to hide it well.

      Semi Weekly Irontonian - Nov. 15, 1907 - AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JOHN CAMPBELL - In 1890 John Campbell of Ironton, Ohio made the following statement in regard to his life:
      He lived on his father's farm, between Ripley and Georgetown, Brown county, Ohio, from birth 1808 to 1830, when in August, he commenced clerking in the store of his uncle Wm. Humphrey in Ripley, continued there til May, 1831, then his uncle sent him with a store to Russellville, a neighboring town, where he remained until 1832. He then engaged as clerk on the Steamer "BANNER", running from Cincinnati to Pittsburg. On his second trip he announced in the cabin before some Iron men from the Hanging Rock Region, that he was open for engagement. Andrew Ellison and Robt. Hamilton invited him to clerk for them at Hanging Rock so he stopped off there in March 1833. The Hanging Rock Rolling Mill began in the building of "The Forge," in March 1833. The stockholders of The Forge were the same in the building of Lawrence Furnace entitled "J. Riggs & Co." tower; James Rodgers, Andrew Ellison, Robt. Hamilton, Robt. Dyer Burgess, Joseph Riggs, who subscribed even amounts. Mr. Campbell, had the privilege of investing but declined. He loaned J. Riggs & Co. $1500 to the building of Lawrence Furnace. From March 1833 to August 1833 he assisted at the books and helped superintend the men, in building the Hanging Rock Forge. Then he went to the site of Lawrence Furnace, called "Cranes' Nest", and assisted in erecting the same, as Superintendent under Andrew Ellison, from August 1833 to January 1st 1835; then visited his home in Brown county, Ohio, for two months, till March 1835; then returned to Hanging Rock and clerked at the "Landing" until June 1835; then he went to Mt. Vernon Furnace as Manager, and managed until July 1846. Mr. Campbell that year bought the residence of Andrew Ellison from his widow Jane Ellison, and moved, remaining in Hanging Rock from 1846 to Sept. 1850, when he removed to Ironton, where in December, 1850, he occupied his new Ironton residence. The foregoing were the only occupations Mr. Campbell ever engaged in up to 1850, and he never engaged in manual labor after leaving his father's farm. Mr. Ellison, uncle of Mr. Campbell's future wife, had managed at Mt. Vernon Furnace from late in 1834 to June 1835, when he moved to Hanging Rock; in 1838 he moved to Manchester, Ohio, where he resided until his death about 1865(7)?. The Andrew Ellison homestead at Hanging Rock is what is now known as the Hempstead place.

      1850 Lawrence Co. OH census:
      Campbell, John age 41 b. OH Iron Master
      Elizabeth age 35 b. OH
      Mary J. age 12 b. OH
      Martha E. age 08 b. OH
      E. J. age 06 b. OH female
      Albert age 04 b. OH
      Clara age 02 b. OH
      Fox, Kate age 15 b. Ireland female
      Fox, Rate age 12 b. Ireland male

      1860 Lawrence Co. OH census: Village of Ironton
      72-73 p. 166
      Cambell, John age 52 b. OH Iron Master
      Elizabeth C. age 45 b. OH
      Mary Jane age 21 b. OH servant
      Martha Means age 17 b. OH wife
      Emma age 15 b. OH school
      Albert age 14 b. OH
      Clara age 11 b. OH
      Charles age 09 b. OH
      Chambers, Wm. age 17 b. VA
      Hibernin? Cattaron age 22 b. PA servant

      I.R. August 22, 1872 - JOHN CAMPBELL and E. McMILLIN have not been heard of. It is supposed they are among the mountains of West Virginia, hunting for wild bees and climbing for possums. When Stanley gets back from Africa, here will be a field for him. We will pay heavily for authentic intelligence from these wonderful travelers.

      I.R. September 3, 1891 - JOHN CAMPBELL. - DEATH OF IRONTON'S FOREMOST CITIZEN - SOME FACTS OF HIS LIFE AND FUNERAL - John Campbell died last Sunday morning, August 30, at twenty minutes past seven. The immediate cause of his death was uremic poisoning. He was taken sick the Sunday previous, and at one o'clock, Monday morning, being in some pain, he arose, and went to Dr. Livesay's, four square distant, for relief. His son Albert insisted upon going for the physician, but Mr. Campbell would not permit it, and was gone while Albert was getting ready. In an hour he returned, but found his case was of such a stubborn character that relief was not easily secured. Dr. Livesay, knowing the seriousness, was at his bedside, early the next morning, to push again his methods of relief, but without success. The obstinate character of the case soon brought on uremic poison, so by Wednesday, a comatose condition followed, and all omens of recovery departed. He was unconscious from Friday, but sank gradually until Sunday morning, when with his wife and two sons by his side, he breathed his last.

      Mr. Campbell was born near Georgetown, Brown Co. O., January 14, 1808. He was a farmer boy and received the ordinary school education of those days. When a young man he went to clerk in a store of Mr. Humphreys, father of W. S. Humphreys, now of Ironton. This was at Ripley about 1828. Afterward, he started a store in connection with Mr. Humphreys, at Russellville. He is described then as a fine looking young man, devoted to business and universally respected. Getting tired of the slow life of a store keeper, in a quiet village, he left Russellville, and invested his savings, about $600, for a part interest in the steamer BANNER, and took a position as clerk on the boat.

      During his second trip on the boat to Pittsburg, he sold out his interest. While returning on the steamer, he fell in with Robert Hamilton, the pioneer iron man of Hanging Rock iron region, and asked him if there was an opening for a young man at the Rock, and was told to stop off and see. This he did, in 1832, and was given a position as clerk at Pinegrove furnace. The next year he became associated with Mr. Hamilton in the building of the Hanging Rock forge, long since dismantled. The same year, with Andrew Ellison, he built Lawrence furnace for J. Riggs & Co. In 1834, in connection with Robert Hamilton, he built Mt. Vernon furnace, and moved there to manage it. Here he remained for some years though his interests in the iron business kept spreading all the time. It was through his suggestion that the first hot blast was erected in America - this was at Vesuvius furnace. He was also the first to put the boilers and hot blast over the furnace stack. This was in 1841.

      In 1844, with John Peters, he built Greenup furnace in Kentucky; in 1846, he built Olive furnace, and in 1847, Gallia. In 1849, he with others built Keystone. In 1853, he built Howard and Washington. In 1854, he built Madison. The last furnace he built was Monroe, in 1856. He purchased and owned an interest in other furnace properties, notably the Hecla furnace.

      About 1845, Mr. Campbell moved from Mt. Vernon furnace to Hanging Rock, where he lived until 1851, when he moved to Ironton. But in the meantime, he had a great scheme on hand-the founding of a new town. For this purpose, he organized the famous Ohio Iron and Coal Co., composed of about twenty furnacemen and prominent men of the region, and purchased the land where the central part of Ironton now is. Here a town was laid out in 1849, and many lots sold. People flocked to the new town, attracted by its moral, as well as its industrial promises. Mr. Campbell was the moving spirit. His genious shown in every direction. He provided for churches, for school houses, for manufactures-for every healthful influence and industrial advantage. He was then in the prime of life, and he infused his energy to everybody. Every good work he encouraged with money and personal influence. His good nature and his clear insight of things made him the _____founder of a new town. He despised shame and delusions, and builded only on honest worth and merit.

      In those early days, to give the town a start, he took stock in every good enterprise-in the old Iron bank, in the mills and foundries, the nail and plow factories. There was scarcely anything worthy but what received his substantial encouragement. He was interested in fourteen furnaces during his life and a score of other enterprises. He was an original stockholder in the Ironton rolling mill and Olive foundry and machine shops, both of which were started in 1852. It was through his influence that the first telegraphic wire was extended here. He was the President of the great Union Iron Co., and proprietor of Hecla; and for years President of the Iron Railroad Company.

      In those early days, he was a most indefatigable worker for railroad communication with Ironton, taking an interest in every project. He was a leading promoter of the Scioto Valley, which first connected this town to the world by rail. He was accounted by railroad men and financiers as a man of truthful forecast. The great railroad enterprises that now reach this city, he foresaw and predicted at a time when all others were incredulous. No man saw manifest destiny clearer than John Campbell did.

      Notwithstanding Mr. Campbell's life abounded with great enterprises, he was approachable to all. He took an interest in every man who tried to do something for himself. He was the friend of the unfortunate. No wonder the colored people flocked to his funeral, and tearfully viewed him for the last time. He was their friend and in the dark days of slavery, no fugitive ever came to this town, searching for freedom, but that Mr. Campbell took his hand, gave him money, and sent him on. His home was the asylum for the oppressed in those days.

      He had a keen mind for the right, and he was simply immovable when he took his stand. At the same time, he was a man of most equable temper; never getting impatient or mad. In the most trying circumstances he was calm and gentle as a child.

      When Mr. Campbell was clerking in the store at Ripley, he became acquainted with Miss Elizabeth Caldwell Clarke, who was attending a seminary there, conducted by the late Rev. John Rankin. She had lived at Manchester, but was at the time making her home with her uncle, Robert Hamilton at Hanging Rock. There she lived except when at school, and Mr. Campbell's employment at Pinegrove gave opportunity for the ripening of the friendship begun at Ripley; so that on the 16th day of March, 1837, they were married at Pinegrove furnace by the Rev. Dan Young. They forthwith took up their residence at Mt. Vernon furnace, where they lived several years. During this time, Mr. Campbell was making money in the iron business, and constantly extending his industrial operations. From Mt. Vernon he moved to Hanging Rock, where he occupied the former residence of Robert Hamilton, now the home of Mrs. Hempstead, until his removal to Ironton.

      There were seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, viz: Mary J., Martha, Emma, Clara, Albert and Charles, all of whom were present at the funeral except Mary and Emma, who have gone before, and a child that died in infancy, many years ago.

      Mr. Campbell had been a very rich man in his life time. In 1872, an inventory of his property figured up over a million dollars. But he kept on and reverses overtook him. Several unfortunate investments made inroads on his wealth, until 1883, when the Union Iron Co. failed, and this compelled him to make an assignment. Old age and fierce competition in the iron business prevented his recovery from financial disaster, but he went down a brave and honest man. His financial distress never affected the sincere esteem in which he was held, or abated a lot the great influence he had in the community.

      The picture of Mr. Campbell, printed at the head of this article was made from a photograph taken in 1875, and is a good likeness of him then. It was the last photograph he had taken.

      THE FUNERAL - At 2 o'clock, Tuesday afternoon, the oberquies took place at the residence. A great throng gathered at the premises and filled the home. For a square, the people congregated in throngs, testifying to the universal respect in which Mr. Campbell was held. The attendence included everybody, of all beliefs, colors, conditions, the rich and poor, the old and young. Never was there such a throng at a funeral in this town.

      In the large parlor where the casket rested were the City Council, the County officiary and the Bar. Many of the old citizens were there congregated. Among whom we noticed Hon. H. S. Bundy and W. N. McGugin, who was Mr. Campbell's partner for 32 years. All the rooms sad spacious halls of the residence were filled with the people.

      R. Mather had charge of the arrangements, with Messrs. F. O. Tomlinson and Chas. Hutsinpillar as assistants. The minister stood in the hall, at the door of the parlor, so that all heard him, even the great crowd of citizens who had gathered in the front yard.

      Rev. E. E. Moran conducted the services, assisted by Rev. Dick. A quartette choir, consisting of Messrs. Thos. Lewis, Otto Otten, Thos. J. Davies and Robert Simpson, conducted the music, and sang two numbers, "God Moves in a Mysterious Way," and "Friend after Friend Departs." The singing was very impressive. Rev. W. V. Dick read some appropriate selections of Scipture, and Rev. E. E. Moran delivered a brief funeral address, basing his remarks upon a hymn, which he said was the favorite of Mr. Campbell, and one which he had taught one of his children. It was as follows:
      !The spacious firmament on high,
      With all the blue ethereal sky,
      And spangled heavens, a shining frame,
      Their great Original proclaim.
      The unwearied sun, from day to day,
      Does his Creator's powers display,
      And publishes to every land
      The work of an almighty Hand.

      Soon as the evening shades prevail
      The moon takes up the wondrous tale,
      And nightly to the listening earth
      Repeats the story of her birth;
      Whilst all the stars that round her burn,
      And all the planets in their turn,
      Confirm the tidings as they roll,
      And spread the truth from pole to pole.

      What though in solemn silence all
      Move round the dark terrestrial ball?
      What though no real voice nor sound
      Amidst their radiant orbs be found?
      In reason's ear they all rejoice,
      And utter forth a glorious voice,
      For ever singing as they shine,
      "The Hand that made us is divine."

      The minister spoke of the poem as shedding light upon Mr. Campbell's life. He bowed before the great ruler of the universe, recognized his laws, and led a life in submission to his will. Kindly references were then made to Mr. Campbell's career as a citizen and of the great results of his life, which will serve to keep alive his memory in the hearts of his fellow citizens for all times.

      After the address, opportunity was given to view the remains. The body was in a black casket in the parlor. On it were a spray of wheat and a wreath of iron weeds. The face of the dead man seemed very natural. As the throng came in to view their old friend, many a breast heaved and many a tear was shed. There were many colored people among the throng, and they seemed viably affected by the kindly features of the good old man who had been their friend so long.

      After the ceremony was over, the casket was borne away to the hearse. The active pall-bearers were John Hamilton, I. N. Henry, W. G. Lambert, J. R. C. Brown, P. Riter, J. A. Turley, W. A. Murdock, G. W. McConn. The honorary pall-bearers were Dr. Livesay, C. Culbertson, John Peters, D. W. Voglesong, Thos. Winters, W. N. McGugin and E. Nigh. Following the ministers, were Mrs. Wm. Means, leaning on the arm of her brother Albert, and Miss Clara Campbell, with her brother Charles. Then followed the granddaughters, the Misses Neal, Hon. H. S. Neal, Mrs. Neal and others near to the family. Mrs. Campbell, on account of weakness and illness did no
    • IR Jan. 27, 1870 - Pig Iron Personnel
      .... John Campbell...
      This man was one of the first, perhaps the first, to think of establishing a town at this point. [note from smk - see Caleb Briggs who also thought at the same time to establish a town] He was born and raised in Brown county, and went to school with General Grant. He is of Scotch-Irish descent, in politics an original Abolitionist. - He stands over six feet high in his socks, is sixty-three years old, weighs two hundred, and enjoys vigorous health. His features are strong, with a powerful will indicated by the firm set mouth, prominent chin and square jaw. His eyes encounter you with a shrewd, searching glance, and your fate is decided there and then.

      Mr. Campbell is what is understood here as an Iron man, eminently practical, exceedingly simple and plain in his habits, and therefore caring little for the graces and accomplishments of society. He bears about the same relation to them that "pig" does to pocket knives. He is rich, but no one calls him mean, and that is eulogy enough.

      Mr. Campbell's zeal during the war for the Union commended him highly at Washington, and if inclined to public life he might have had enviable positions, but he stuck to his "pig," and comes out a richer if not a more honored man in the end. Mr. Campbell is to Ironton, what Mr. Horton is to Pomeroy, a public necessity. His energy, influence, and wisdom are felt in every department of the industrial life of the place, and nothing of a general character is undertaken without he is consulted directly or indirectly. He has sustained great losses mainly through the failure of others, but all his transactions are characterized by foresight, and crowned with success.
      ...
    Person ID  I0001  Campbell Family Southern Ohio
    Last Modified  5 Mar 2008 

    Father  Charles Campbell,   b. 28 Dec 1779,   d. 26 Sep 1871 
    Mother  Elizabeth Tweed,   b. Abt 1777,   d. 5 Aug 1870, Morton, IL Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  20 Sep 1803  Adams Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID  F008  Group Sheet

    Family  Elizabeth Caldwell Clarke,   b. 15 Apr 1815, Manchester, OH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Nov 1893, Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  16 Mar 1837  Pine Grove Frn., Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Emma Campbell,   d. Jul 1884
     2. Albert Campbell,   d. Jul 1915, Washington, D.C. Find all individuals with events at this location
    >3. Mary Jane Campbell,   b. 29 Jun 1838, Mt. Vernon Furn., Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Oct 1884, Boston, MA Find all individuals with events at this location
    >4. Martha Elizabeth Campbell,   b. 16 Aug 1842, Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Feb 1904
     5. Clara Campbell,   b. 15 Sep 1849, Hanging Rock, Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Nov 1895, Hanging Rock, Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location
     6. Charles Campbell,   b. 1851, Lawrence Co., OH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Jul 1923, Athens, OH Find all individuals with events at this location
    Family ID  F001  Group Sheet

  • Photos
    Albert and Charles, sons of John Campbell and a daughter of John Campbell on horse.
    Albert and Charles, sons of John Campbell and a daughter of John Campbell on horse.
    5th and Lawrence Street
    Ironton, Ohio
    First Presbyterian Church also in view at 5th & Lawrence streets.
    Bedroom in the John Campbell House
    Bedroom in the John Campbell House
    Ironton, Ohio